Scripture memory is very important to me. Up until nearly four years ago, regular Scripture memory was not a part of my life. I went through a very difficult season in which I realized my need to hide God’s Word in my heart. Listed below is a partial list of reasons why I memorize Scripture.
My purpose in sharing this is not to toot my own weak, rusty horn, but rather, to spur you on to consider implementing this discipline in your own life.
- My heart is deceitful and I am easily tempted. Jesus used Scripture to fight temptation. Therefore, I should use it too. Genesis 3:1-6, Jeremiah 17:9, Proverbs 28:26, Matthew 4
- I believe the Word of God is useful for all of life. 2 Timothy 3:16
- God’s Word will convict me of sin. Hebrews 4:12
- I want to fight sin. Psalm 119:11, Deuteronomy 30:14, Ephesians 4:17
- I am told that it is more desirable than gold. Psalm 19:10-11
- I want to grow in faith. Proverbs 22:18-19, Romans 10:17
- I will be blessed by doing it. Psalm 1, Psalm 119:1-2
- It is a command given in both the Old and New Testaments. Deuteronomy 6, Colossians 3:16.
- I see examples of it throughout Scripture. Psalm 119, Matthew 4, John 1:23, Acts 15:16-18…
- I want to praise God throughout my days. Reminding myself of His attributes helps me. Psalm 71:8, Psalm 98, Psalm 139:14, Psalm 145:2
- I want to be able to think on things that are right and true. Philippians 4:8
- I want to commune with God continually. Speaking His Word back to Him helps me accomplish that.
- I get discouraged easily and need to be reminded of my hope. Psalm 42:11, Psalm 119:114, Psalm 119:147, Psalm 130:5, Lamentations 3:19-26
- I want to be ready to give an answer to anyone who asks what my hope is. 1 Peter 3:15
- In this season of life, it is not always feasible for me to read my Bible for extended periods of time. Being able to recall His Word throughout my day is a great help.
- There are so many teachable moments with children. I want to know God’s word well enough to recall it at a moment’s notice. Deuteronomy 6
- When I am with other people, I want to be able to share God’s Word even if I don’t have a Bible with me. Proverbs 25:11