There are several foods that I consider to be staple foods in my kitchen. I use these daily or almost daily and try never to be without them. I consider them essentials to our health and daily diet so I incorporate them as much as possible. Many of these staple foods I buy in bulk to ensure I always have them around (and it’s cheaper!). Here are 11 staple foods you’ll always find in my kitchen:
2. Cultured Butter – We like our butter with some bread!
3. Plain, whole milk yogurt. I use this for soaking our grains and we enjoy eating it with some maple syrup, too! I just brought home two cases on Friday from my new coop.
4. Greens – My husband calls me a rabbit! I aim to eat at least four cups of greens a day, and I probably eat more than that just because I like to pack it in. I just can’t get enough of ‘em!
5. Bananas. Just a staple food!
6. Milk – fresh (or frozen!), unadulterated raw milk.
7. Raw honey. I use it to sweeten more than any other sweetener.
8. Grains. We eat some sort of grain every day. I have oats, millet, quinoa, three types of wheat, kamut, spelt, amaranth (we rarely eat this though), buckwheat, and barley.
9. Real Salt. Good sea salt loaded with good-for-you minerals. I salt everything. Ever since I took the Bradley Method of Child Birth classes, I have felt free to enjoy salting my foods without fear of ill health. I feel a blog post coming!
10. Peanut Butter. I LOVE peanut butter. When I’ve been in the first trimester of my pregnancies, I don’t want to be within 50 feet of it, but after the nausea passes, I can’t get enough of it! I think maybe that’s why Tara can’t stand it! Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods! Combine it with chocolate and I’m on cloud 9.
11. Eggs. I aim for two a day (though don’t always get them in!). Pastured are best–yummy, almost orange yolks and good, strong shells. They are a superfood!
What about you? What staple foods do you always have on hand? If my husband had his way, ice cream would be on my list.