As I’ve mentioned before, I strive to be consistent across the board when it comes to being a good steward of my body, time, resources, etc. Over the past several years of research and learning, this has included making changes to the way I approach keeping my home clean.
Today, I want to share with you why I came to the conclusion that it was dangerous to my family’s health to continue the use of common cleaning products. Tomorrow, we will explore the very economical, safe, non toxic cleaners that I’ve been using ever since I began researching.
During my first pregnancy nearly four years ago, I began researching non toxic cleaners as alternatives to common cleaning products. I did so because the majority of common household cleaning products emit such a strong odor from chemicals that I didn’t think could be healthy. Not to mention that some of them advise pregnant women not to use them!
My desire was to switch over to non toxic cleaners that were also safe. I did not want to need to worry about any harmful side effects from using them nor did I want to experience anxiety over a small child possibly getting into something toxic. I was so excited to find that there were several homemade cleaning solutions that were all natural cleaners and non toxic! However, I was greatly alarmed by what I learned in the process about the most common of household cleaners.
Perhaps some of the most alarming ingredients found in typical cleaning products are those called hormone or endocrine disruptors. In testing done on animals, these chemicals have been shown to negatively affect reproduction, growth, and development. These chemicals can either block messages or mimic hormone actions. Listen to these alarming facts:
“The alkylphenol ethoxylates (APEs) used in some detergents and cleaners have been shown to mimic the hormone estrogen; one APE, p-nonylphenol, has caused estrogen-sensitive breast cancer cells to multiply in a test tube study.”
“Corrosive chemicals can cause severe burns on eyes, skin and, if ingested, on the throat and esophagus. Ingredients with high acute toxicity include chlorine bleach and ammonia, which produce fumes that are highly irritating to eyes, nose, throat and lungs, and should not be used by people with asthma or lung or heart problems. These two chemicals pose an added threat in that they can react with each other or other chemicals to form lung-damaging gases. Combining products that contain chlorine and ammonia or ammonia and lye (in some oven cleaners) produces chloramine gases, while chlorine combined with acids (commonly used in toilet bowl cleaners) forms toxic chlorine gas.”
Not only that, but many of the chemicals used in cleaning products have been shown to be carcinogenic (cancer causing). Learning these things was enough for me to begin making changes!
I’m going to leave you hanging, so come back tomorrow learn about the non toxic cleaners that I use in place of typical household cleaners.
Have you signed up for this E-Course yet? Classes begin TODAY but enrollment is open until this Friday.
If you can’t participate this time, Donielle may open enrollment again in October.