Are you looking for ways to use up your summer squash? I have already made two huge pans of our favorite yellow squash casserole! Not only is squash an excellent source for vitamin C and manganese, but it even has vitamin A, magnesium, folate, B vitamins, copper, and omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and zinc. Summer squash contains a powerhouse of nutrients, but don’t forget, you need to eat the skin to enjoy all of them!Here is my *very loose* recipe for my summer squash casserole (I don’t list amounts because you can make this casserole as big or small as you want, depending on how much squash you have):
Yellow or zucchini squash (or both!), sliced
bread crumbs (just crumble up bread!)
cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Steam the squash and onion until soft.
3. Mix with all the remaining ingredients, to taste. (The more butter, the better!)
4. Put mixture into baking pan (determine which size to use by how much squash mixture you have!), top with cheese.
5. Bake until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
This is a very easy squash casserole and it always goes over well with guests! I also add broccoli sometimes. Experiment with your favorites!